The owners and managers of automotive service businesses that belong to
the Automotive Service Association (ASA) agree to adhere to a Code of Ethics.
ASA’s Code of Ethics is the automotive service industry’s standard for professional
- To perform high quality repair service at a fair and just price.
- To use only proven merchandise of high quality distributed by reputable firms.
- To employ the best skilled technicians obtainable.
- To furnish an itemized invoice for fairly priced parts and services that clearly identifies
any used or remanufactured parts. Replaced parts may be inspected upon request.
- To have a sense of personal obligation to each customer.
- To promote good will between the motorist and members of the association.
- To recommend corrective and maintenance services, explaining to the customer which
of these are required to correct existing problems and which are for preventive
- To offer the customer a price estimate for work to be performed.
- To furnish or post copies of any warranties covering parts or services.
- To obtain prior authorization for all work done, in writing, or by other means satisfactory
to the customer.
- To notify the customer if appointments or completion promises cannot be kept.
- To maintain customer service records for one year or more.
- To exercise reasonable care for the customer’s property while in our possession.
- To maintain a system for fair settlement of customer’s complaints.
- To cooperate with established consumer complaint mediation activities.
- To uphold the high standards of our profession and always seek to correct any
and all abuses within the automotive industry.
- To uphold the integrity of all members of the Automotive Service Association.